Fixed dental bridges to restore your smile after tooth loss
In an ideal world, we would retain all of our natural teeth for our whole lifetime. However, missing teeth can occur for many reasons, such as insufficient oral hygiene, traumatic injuries, and even genetics. At Riverside Dental Clinic, we offer patients in the Drumheller, Alberta area a variety of choices for restoring the appearance and function of their smile after tooth loss, including fixed dental bridges.
How dental bridges work
Dental bridges are a tooth replacement option for patients who have lost one or more teeth in a row. While there are various types of dental bridges available, a traditional dental bridge is the most common and consists of two main components:
- False teeth created from ceramic or other natural-looking dental materials that “bridge” the gap created by the missing teeth
- Dental crowns on the teeth next to the gap to hold the bridge in place.
Dental bridges are an excellent option for patients who have suffered from tooth loss because they:
- Restore the function of your natural teeth: While other tooth replacement options like dentures are removable, a fixed dental bridge is permanently affixed in the mouth, which offers excellent functionality while you are speaking, eating, and enjoying your daily activities.
- Are versatile: Dental bridges can be an excellent option for patients who have lost teeth in the front or back of the mouth. We will work with you to customize your dental bridge for optimal durability, aesthetics, and function based on your specific oral health needs.
- Help maintain proper tooth alignment: After one or more teeth have been lost, the other teeth shift into the space and can cause misalignment problems and unnecessary stress on the joints and muscles. By replacing your missing teeth with a dental bridge, you can prevent these issues from occurring.
- Boost your self-confidence: Tooth loss can affect the way your smile looks and your overall facial appearance. With a dental bridge, you can smile with confidence again and maintain your natural facial shape, taking years off your appearance.
Getting a dental bridge placed
If you have missing teeth, the team at Riverside Dental Clinic is here to help restore your smile. Getting a dental bridge takes a few visits, starting with an initial consultation to evaluate whether a bridge is right for you. In the next visit, your dentist will prepare the adjacent teeth for the bridge to be placed and take dental impressions so that your bridge can be custom-fabricated based on our precise specifications. When the bridge is created, you will return to the office and make any minor adjustments needed for the perfect fit. Finally, the bridge is cemented into place, and you are free to enjoy your new smile!
To schedule your consultation, call our Drumheller practice today at (833) 575-1855.