If you have missing teeth, the most natural way to replace them is with dental implants. Today, dental implants are the gold standard for tooth replacement, and their popularity has dramatically increased with patients who want the best tooth replacement currently available. If you are in Drumheller, Alberta, and the surrounding areas, Dr. Kenneth Poznikoff and his experienced team at Riverside Dental Clinic provide high-quality dental implants that replace your teeth for life!
The anatomy of a dental implant
You may not be familiar with dental implants, but don’t worry. We will describe a dental implant to ensure you have all the information you need before deciding if this treatment is suitable for you. In the real sense, implants replace both your tooth and the root that supports it.
They are made up of three components:
- The implant fixture: This is the implant post placed into your jaw and serves as the replacement tooth root. An implant fixture is a biocompatible titanium screw that permanently integrates into the jawbone to form a sturdy foundation, just like your natural tooth root. Bone loves titanium, and it literally grows into the implant fixture. Because of this, titanium is used in joint replacements for the hip and knee joints.
- An abutment: This component attaches to the implant screw and acts as the foundation to fit the dental crown over it. It connects to the implant fixture at the level of the bone and travels through the gums to form a peg that the dental crown can attach to. The abutment provides a strong connector between the implant and the crown, making the implant-supported crown, bridge or dentures robust enough to withstand bite force.
- A dental crown: This is the visible, natural-looking tooth part that attaches to the abutment. The crown is made of porcelain material, making it indistinguishable from your natural teeth. Sometimes, if you are missing several teeth, we may use a dental bridge to span the gap in your smile. Or, if we are replacing an entire arch, implant-supported dentures will stabilize and improve the comfort of the dentures.
Dental implant procedure
Like any other dental procedure, you need to know the steps involved when placing a dental implant. With this in mind, we would like to walk you through what goes into a dental implant procedure.
After the healing period, Dr. Poznikoff will see you again to obtain an impression of the implant fixture. A custom abutment is then fabricated, attached directly to the white porcelain crown. This crown is then securely screwed into the implant fixture to provide a robust, long-lasting tooth to chew on.
Although the dental implant procedure may seem time-consuming, it remains the best way to replace missing teeth. The result is like having your original teeth back for the rest of your life.
Benefits of dental implants
If there is a tooth replacement that acts and feels like your natural tooth, it’s a dental implant. No wonder dental implants are referred to as the “gold standard” in teeth replacement. Let’s explore the benefits you accrue with implants:
- Implants prevent bone loss in the area missing the teeth
- They restore your self-esteem and confidence with a natural-looking tooth replacement in the front of your smile.
- Dental implants prevent nearby teeth from shifting
- They replace your teeth permanently
- The implant-based restoration procedure has a 98% success rate
Are you looking to replace your teeth permanently with dental implants? If yes, please dial (833) 575-1855 to book an appointment with Riverside Dental Clinic in Drumheller, AB.
Share this Article